Waste pollutes the land, the oceans and the waterways. It’s responsible for five percent of Aotearoa New Zealand’s overall greenhouse gas emissions. Tackling waste is a growing challenge both here and around the world with major implications for our environment, economy and how we live our lives. The solution to our waste problem lies with us becoming more efficient with the resources we use.
The strategic priorities of our group are:
- Zero waste to landfill in Nelson and Tasman.
- Materials and their embodied energy valued.
- Engage the community in understanding the issues, changing our practices and exploring new solutions.
- Engage with businesses and organisations in changing systems and taking responsibility for the full life cycle of what they create (product stewardship).
- Lobby/support local and central government to implement change.
We hold regular face-to-face meetings with a Zoom option for those that can not attend in person. If you’re keen to join or want to learn more please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our group also hosts a monthly Repair Café in Nelson where heavily used household items such as toys, clothing, furniture, bikes and small electrical appliances (e.g. toasters & lamps, radios, phones, and computers) can be mended. Updates on Repair Café dates and news can be found on the Facebook page.